To locate a CLLA Professional, please search below. To search for a member outside of the United States, choose a country listing. If you need further information, send your request to email@example.com. A CLLA associate will contact you regarding your request.
Brian Jackiw is a Partner in the Bankruptcy and Restructuring Practice Group.
Brian is experienced in bankruptcy and commercial litigation, having represented plaintiffs and defendants in avoidance actions, complex bankruptcy claim disputes, breach of fiduciary duty actions and bankruptcy fraud litigation.
Brian has prosecuted millions of dollars of preference litigation claims on behalf of liquidating trustees and chapter 7 trustees, and has defended hundreds of preference and fraudulent transfer claims, on behalf of individual defendants, in jurisdictions throughout the United States. Beyond litigation in the Bankruptcy courts, Brian has experience in general collection and commercial law litigation.
Brian has also spent significant time advocating on behalf of general unsecured creditors through his representation of official committees of unsecured creditors. This representation has allowed Brian to engage in significant and complex issues such as assets sales, liquidation under chapter 11, disputes regarding a secured creditor’s perfection of a security interest, and other matters.
A portion of Brian’s time has been focused on distressed community and regional banks, with an emphasis on representing bank holding companies, or their creditors, in the banks’ restructuring efforts. He has worked with banking institutions in the Chicago area in connection with their ongoing recapitalization efforts.
Before becoming an attorney, Brian served as an Officer in the U.S. Army and was a Defense Contractor, playing an integral role in the development of our nation’s defenses to missile attacks.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of PRM Family Holding Company, LLC (“PRM”), a regional grocer located in Arizona with eleven supermarkets located in four Southwestern states. Worked with PRM to analyze and vet the numerous PACA claims filed in the case and with PRM, its lenders and other parties-in-interest in developing a sale or restructuring strategy that will maximize estate value for general unsecured creditors.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Wagstaff Minnesota, Inc. and worked closely with counsel to Wagstaff to maximize the value of general unsecured claims, including asset sales, investigating the security interests of Wagstaff’s secured creditors and efforts to avoid the potentially devastating impact of certain agreements between Wagstaff and KFC. Represented Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in In re Giordano’s Enterprises, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.).
- Represented Basic Fire Protection, a company that sells and maintains industrial fire protection equipment, in its successful chapter 11 reorganization. Brian brought this matter to a successful confirmation in just sixty days.
Represented Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in In re Orius Corp., et al. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.).’ Represented Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in In re Arch Aluminum & Glass Co. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.).Represented chapter 7 trustee of Knight-Celotex, LLC, an $80 million building supply manufacturer, in its liquidation proceedings before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- State Bar Admissions
- Federal Bar Admissions
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Legal Forms and Documentation.” Multiple conferences and regional meetings of the National Association of Credit Management (2014, 2013).
- “Validity and Enforceability of Electronic Signatures.” National Association of Credit Management National Construction, Auto Glass and Architectural Metals Credit Groups (2014).
- “Chapter 11 Plan Analysis for the Credit Professional.” National Association of Credit Management Upstate New York Credit Conference (2104).
- Presenter, “Creative Strategies for Recapitalization and Value Creation of Community Banks,” Michigan Bankers Association’s Bankers Education Summit and Trade Show (April 2012).
- Presenter, “Bankruptcy 101,” multiple clients (2013).
- Co-Author, “Fiesta Holdings – Or is it Siesta Holdings?” Law360 (December 2012).
- Co-Author, “Universal Building Products: Has the Pendulum Swung Too Far?,” ABI Journal (October 2011).
- Author, “In re Eckert: A Primer for Prosecuting Fraudulent Transfers.” ABI Committee News, Commercial Fraud Task Force Committee (July 2009).
American Bankruptcy Institute
Turnaround Management Association
Chicago Bar Association
National Association of Credit Management
Credit Research Foundation
J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, cum laude
B.S., United States Military Academy
Board Member, Rainbow Council, Boy Scouts of America
Board Member and Corporate Secretary, West Point Society of Chicago, NFP
Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- Distressed Company Representations
- Creditors’ Committee Representations
- Secured Creditor Representations
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Purchasers of Distressed Assets